Note from the Director
Millington Public Library scored in the top 25th percentile among libraries nationwide in our budget category $250K to $1-million. The rankings are based upon Federal statistics compiled from our state statistics reports that are submitted annually. The areas of study included material circulation, budget to community services per capita, and public computer access and services.
Bottom line: For our size library and budget, we are very competitive locally and nationwide.
In 10 years, the library will be moved to another site, and my dream is that the community and City of Millington will invest in a brand new, 20,000-square-foot, eco-friendly library. “Dreams can never be a reality if we do not dream” Read more
Millington Public Library Celebrating 54 years
Library staff proudly join children in the celebration
54-years of community service
To read more
What was once a meeting room turned storage room is being converted into a room where dreams will be made, a sort of literary Field of Dreams in the Millington Public Library with a touch of the past, present and future in what will be known as MPL Studio 13.
Our summer reading program concluded 7-31-2012 and our four grand prize Nook winners were: Ella Dischner, Fjayan Jones, Kate Keel, and Caden Sweatman.
Millington Public Library is Offering:
- Shelby County Family Resource Center classes and services, Tuesday through Friday, 2PM to close, Meeting Room. (ESL, Tutoring, Resume assistance, other)
- GED classes, Thursday, 4:30 to 6PM, Meeting Room. (GED prep for test)
- Computer classes, Thursday, 6 to 7PM, Meeting Room. (Basic and Advanced)
- MPL Job Finder Program (Regional Job Network Binder updated daily and Job Fairs, TBA)
- Southwest Community College Small Business Development Classes, Saturday, Times (TBA)
- Millington Science Fiction Writers Guild, 1st and 3rd Tuesday/Monthly, Staff Break room
- MPL Art for All Ages class, Thursday, 3 to 4PM, Staff Break room
- MPL Story time, Wednesday and Friday, 11 to 12PM, Meeting Room (Pre-K)
- MPL-Shelby County Juvenile Court Community Volunteer Services (Library Volunteers)
- MCHS Work Based Learning program for special needs children. Tuesday and Thursday, 12 to 1PM (Job skills development via library employee operations)
- MPL-Headstart Community Partnership (Story time and Summer Reading programs)
- MPL-University of Tennessee Health programs for children, TBA.
- MPL-Rotary-FRC Family Literacy Program for Children and Adults, Monday, Meeting Room
Meeting Community Needs
Library staff and patrons continue to contribute food to fill a crate to feed a family of four for approximately a month. At the end of each month through word of mouth, a new family in Millington is selected.